ABOUT LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children (“LSC”) is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow. We believe that youth deserve positive alternatives to unnecessary placement in foster care, juvenile justice facilities, and immigration detention.
LSC started the interdisciplinary approach that is considered a best practice in juvenile law today. We deploy attorney-social worker teams to assist Bay Area children who need to access the legal system to stabilize or improve their lives. LSC’s attorneys represent children in legal matters that involve guardianship, dependency, school discipline, immigration, and other civil legal matters. Our social workers provide crisis intervention, case management, counseling, and psychosocial assessments. LSC staff also engage in policy and advocacy projects aimed at advancing the rights of children.
To promote social justice and best serve our clients, LSC is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and providing services with cultural humility. We are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion and ensuring a workplace where staff can flourish and grow professionally and well beyond. We strongly encourage candidates from traditionally underrepresented communities and historically oppressed groups including People of Color and LGBTQ individuals to apply. Bilingual/bicultural candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Temporary Case Manager (Full-time or Part-time) 2023
Review of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Legal Services for Children (LSC) seeks a temporary case manager who is bilingual in English and Spanish to work collaboratively with attorneys representing children and youth in dependency, immigration, guardianship, and education matters. One of the main responsibilities of this position is to work directly with children and youth.
This temporary position is open from approximately November 15, 2023 to July 2024. LSC will consider applicants interested in either a part-time or a full-time position, and the start and end dates are negotiable. This is an hourly, non-exempt position. Wages are commensurate with experience (1-5 years): $30.45-$35.41/hour.
- Maintain regular contact with clients and provide consistent updates to the assigned attorney
- Conduct client interviews and home visits
- Investigate, identify, and evaluate client needs in collaboration with the legal team
- Assist the legal team in case strategy, case management, and hearing preparation
- Advocate for and assist clients in accessing available resources, including mental health, education, and counseling services
- Establish and maintain contact with service providers
- Attend or participate in various meetings on behalf of clients, including Child and Family Team Meetings, IEP meetings, and Placement Meetings
- Identify, coordinate, and address emergent/immediate needs of clients in collaboration with the legal team
- Maintain client files with appropriate and up-to-date documentation
- Attend LSC team meetings to provide updates on clients and case management
- Maintain confidentiality of all pertinent client information
- Provide administrative support to legal team as needed, including preparation and filing of court documents for clients
- Perform other duties as may become necessary or as directed
- 1-5 years’ experience providing case management services and/or providing direct services to children and youth
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
- Demonstrated passion for serving youth and children
- Understanding of child welfare/dependency and guardianship law a plus
- Ability to work independently and seek supervision when appropriate
- Ability to prioritize workload and complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner
- Dependable and cooperative approach to problem-solving
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office and strong computer skills
- Good basic clerical skills, including typing, ability to proofread, good grammar and spelling
- Good communication skills
- Training or courses in psychology, sociology, or communication a plus
All positions are eligible for hybrid work in which the employee can work a blend of field, home, and office. There is no minimum in-office time, but services are provided to clients in person whenever possible. This position is based in San Francisco and requires presence in the area with the ability to come to the office and other locations in the Bay Area.
ABOUT LEGAL SERVICES FOR CHILDREN
Founded in 1975, Legal Services for Children is one of the country’s first non-profit law firms dedicated to providing free legal representation and social work services to children. Our mission is to ensure that all children in the San Francisco Bay Area are raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and other services that are necessary to thrive and grow. We believe that youth deserve positive alternatives to unnecessary placement in foster care, juvenile justice facilities, and immigration detention.
Legal representation at Legal Services for Children practices Trauma-Informed Care principles which recognize the signs, symptoms, and widespread impact of trauma. Employees integrate the knowledge of Trauma-Informed Care into policies, procedures, and practices to prevent re-traumatization which promotes the healing of families, youth, individuals, and communities.
WAGES & BENEFITS:
Wages are commensurate with experience (1-5 years): $30.45-$35.41/hour. Benefits for employees hired for longer than 90 days and working at least 30 hours per week include fully paid health insurance for employees and majority paid for child dependents (medical, dental, and vision), and generous paid leave (vacation, sick, holiday). LSC also offers a flexible spending account for qualified health expenditures. Benefits for employees working fewer than 30 hours per week vary by benefit and number of weekly scheduled hours.
Please send cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to email@example.com with “Case Manager” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please address the following:
LSC’s clientele is extremely diverse, and the majority of our clients are youth of color. To ensure that our agency is best serving these children, LSC strives to promote an evolving set of behaviors and attitudes amongst our staff, as well as policies that enable us to work effectively in all cross-cultural situations, with clients, with our coworkers, and with our community. We see this as a commitment to enhance the provision of our services to all clients; to raise the level of positive client outcomes; and to create an inclusive and respectful workplace in which differences are acknowledged and valued. How do you think your personal background or experiences, professional or otherwise, have prepared you to contribute to our commitment to cultural humility and diversity amongst our staff? Feel free to think broadly about your response to this question, applying various aspects of your life and personal experiences.